Saturday, September 26, 2009

Quick quips...


I don't know if you know this about me, but I suffer from "social reactance", which essentially means that whatever you like, I hate. On principal, on instinct...just because. So when Vogue Enterprise was shoving Gwyneth-Paltrow-as-"style-icon" down my throat for many years, I refused to swallow the pill. I refused to drink that damn kool-aid. By default, by genetic and class happenstance, I believe Ms. Paltrow has had access to "style" rather than being fraught with it. But I don't know now...maybe it was motherhood, maybe it was landing Chris Martin, maybe it was her inexplicable friendship with one, Beyonce Knowles, I don't know. But I've warmed up to the thespian, and her wardrobe has certainly generated some heat with me. Always polished (she went to Spence, for goodness sake), Gwyneth always seems to add a real post-modern read to femininity, which I enjoy. Always working with tones, she'll take a high hem-line, but add it with dark, masculine booties, a tailored blazer, or really ostentatious accessories. Throw in a vintage tee, and you've got the mix that most women are wanting these days: an outfit that generates enough attention, but not leers. Social reactance solved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment